This Week, the spotlight is on Andrea Reesing. She is young but has already established her own photography business. In this interview she talks about her beginnings, inspirations and importance of online presence.
1. Tell us something about your background. Did you always want to be in this profession?
I am 22, born and raised in Austin, Texas. Growing up I was always really interested in all kinds of art. In high school I took multiple painting, drawing, and photography classes. After high school I attended the Art Institute of Austin for photography and graduated 4 months ago with my bachelors of fine arts, majoring in photography. My passion is to combine the two mediums I find most intriguing; fashion and photography. Throughout college I have discovered you can combine your arts and develop something much more, you can tell a story. I tell my narratives through fashion and portrait photography.
2. You have emphasized on minimal post production in your works. Do you use any image processing software to enhance the images?
Depending on the image I will slightly enhance an image in Photoshop. I draw the line when things look unnatural and when the original and edited image look completely different. I like my photographs to stay true.
3. You have done a lot of fashion photography. Are you also interested in other types of photography such as nature and landscapes?
When I first started taking photos in high school I took a lot of nature and landscape pictures as well as just exploring what my eyes could discover behind the lens. What really captivated me was the fashion industry. The constant change of trends, the way the clothes fit the models, how the light effects the hair, make-up, and clothing and how models could easily interact with me.
4. How important do you think is to have a portfolio website for professional photographers like you?
Having a portfolio website in crucial in this new online world. I think every professional photographer should have a great looking portfolio website and blog. You must have web presence to get your work out there and be seen.
5. Do you have any advice for aspiring artists who would like to build their own business?
The greatest advice I would give to an aspiring artists who want to start their own business is to network constantly and never give up. You never know when or where you might meet a stranger that has a great growing opportunity for you. I would also say to say yes to new experiences when you are first starting off.
6. Finally, tell us about your experience in building your website using Pixpa.
Building my Pixpa website was excellent! I love that it looks so professional and I can actually say I built it myself. It was super easy to use and there is a layout option for everyone. I highly recommend Pixpa to anyone looking to build a template site.
Share this article