Wedding photography is the art of capturing one of the most important days in someone's life. Wedding photographers have become an essential part of society and can shape the way one remembers their wedding day.
One of the most financially rewarding photography businesses today, wedding photography, has become the go-to option for photographers to survive.
Wedding photography, a prevalent part of commercial photography, is the photography of weddings and related events. It can include photography of ceremonies and couples before the wedding, including for announcements, thank you cards, etc., as well as activities after it, like the reception.
What makes a great wedding photographer?
A good wedding photographer is comfortable around people and has a trustworthy personality. Here are some of the qualities of wedding photographers that make them great.
Dealing with Pressure
Since a couple wants their wedding day to be documented in the best way possible, they would want to invest in hiring a good wedding photographer. As a result of that, they also expect the photographer to perform exceptionally well.
Photographers are expected to provide clients with imaginative pictures, which appear in a larger than life manner. Photographers know that there will not be any second chances if something goes wrong. They, therefore, learn various photography skills and know-how to deal with things in a short time frame and fast-paced environment. Wedding photographers must remember to make a wedding photography contract to avoid potential legal troubles.
Delivering the Latest Looks
A great wedding photographer has to keep up with the times as couples demand currently trending editorial and fashion photography styles at weddings. Increasingly, bridal magazines are pushing these trends, and a photographer has to deliver the magazine-style photos that their client demands.
A critical aspect of doing wedding photography is to notice the fleeting moments and rare expressions and capture them beautifully. Because a wedding is an emotional and joyful occasion, there are a lot of these special moments that photographers will find. And as photographers gain experience, they can predict what to expect next.
Observation would be useless if the photographer is not able to capture the moment. Photographers, therefore, have to be prepared and be present at the right place and time. Photographers have to know the event schedule by heart so that they can prepare beforehand. Do your homework in terms of being in the right place before time. Get the right gear based on the type of shot that the situation requires.
Another skill that photographers must practice is to be able to react and not overthink. They will miss the shot if they wait too long. Emotional expressions or actions have peaks and lows, and a photographer has to try to capture those peak moments.
Seeing the Best in People
What differentiates a good photographer from a great one is the latter's ability to see the best in a person. Instructing a person to pose and adjust the situation and lighting to capture that best side is part of the skills that will make you a great wedding photographer.
Photographers should also strive to hide the imperfections they notice in a person, especially in wedding photography. There may be clients who want to document themselves as they are and the event as it unfolds; photographers then may have to go with the documentary wedding photography approach.
Telling the Story
Photographers, through their pictures of the special day, chronicle the story of the wedding couple. They see a pattern and form a compelling narrative. When the client sees the final album, she should be able to recall the experience and emotions they went through, as well as connect to the event with the help of photographs.
Wedding Photography Styles
Different wedding photographers have different styles of shooting, and the best ones among them are known for their unique styles. Many of these styles overlap with each other as there are no strict standards followed by wedding photographers. Also, the client can demand that you shoot their wedding photos in a specific style, or they may choose photographers whose style matches what they want. So, here are some common wedding photography styles that you need to know:
Traditional Wedding Photography
If you notice the photos of your parent's wedding album, it might have presumably been shot in the traditional wedding photography style. In this style, photographers have to take full control of the occasion by making people pose and take their shots. Those shots would include group photos, shots of the cake, wine toasting, first kiss of the couple, and so on. This way of photographing the ceremony has been prevalent for a long time. People opt for the classic wedding photography style to get all the main shots of everything that is going on.
Photojournalistic Wedding Photography
Along with the traditional style, couples go for the photojournalistic style as it resembles documentary and reportage shooting. Photographers have to be skilled to pull this off nicely. They need to be able to quickly change the settings of their camera and frame the moments perfectly. Wedding photojournalism also requires that the photographer blends in with the crowd and be able to capture the candid moments easily. This style of photography will give the clients more natural-looking photographs, which will represent what truly happened.
Illustrative Wedding Photography
Illustrative wedding photography makes use of the environment, whether natural or artificial, to frame compelling and visually appealing photos. This style makes use of lighting and background. The couples are made to pose in a way that they look natural. The photographers use more of wide-angle lenses and sometimes aerial photography to get that epic shot. In a way, it is also a blend of traditional and candid wedding photography.
Fine Art Wedding Photography
Photographers who focus more on Fine Art wedding photography look for artistic shots. Taking artistic shots involves framing the shots creatively, lighting, and post-production techniques. The photographer has to anticipate moments and use Fine Art photography techniques, which can include posing the subjects in a slightly different way. They can use objects like rings, bouquets, and outfits to create the composition that gives the images a more profound meaning and artistic look.
The limitation of this style is that it can reduce the number of photos a photographer can take. You can use this style with other photography methods like traditional and photojournalistic ones to get a broad range of photos. Photographers can also ask their second or third shooters to cover different styles of wedding photography while they focus on getting Fine Art wedding photos.
Fashion Wedding Photography
Fashion wedding photography poses, lighting setups, expressions, and trendy backgrounds, when used in the wedding context, give form to fashion wedding photography. This style is used primarily in bridal magazines or to portray bridal fashion. Couples are made to act as models in this style, which results in getting dramatic wedding shots.
Photography is an art that requires the artist to master it with adequate precision, technique, and equipment. Here are some quick wedding photography tips for photographers to avoid mistakes.
A. Wedding Photography Tips - Before the Wedding
- Check the equipment- Get your gear out and go over the following points. Get the best lens for wedding photography that you can use in either bright or dull light. Check whether the camera batteries are fully charged. Also, check whether the memory cards have sufficient space to store hundreds of photos. Do not forget to carry the best camera for wedding photography, in-fact two of all equipment. You should have the best camera for wedding photography. Also, bring the necessary tools required for out-of-control contingencies like bad weather.
- Scout the location- If you want to be a good wedding photographer, then take disciplined care to do a preliminary recce of the marriage location to understand the kind of lighting to be expected. Determine whether you should be carrying portable lights or not. Scouting also helps in judging which spots you can use to take position shots and how the lighting will come into play.
- Meet the family members to understand their expectations better - To understand the wedding process better, meet up with some of the family members after you're done scouting the location. Finalize the wedding photography prices if you haven't done it already. Although it is better to discuss the wedding photography packages before scouting the site and meeting the family. It would also be fruitful if you can get a chance to meet the couple to take in any requests or set expectations. (You can find a general breakdown of the wedding rituals here too.)
- Try getting a second photographer - This is a prudent measure because it allows you to concentrate solely on the couple and the main wedding proceedings. In contrast, the second photographer could take the venue and family shots. If you're strapped for cash, then a smart way to get a second photographer is to either reach out to amateur or budding photographers in your family/friend circle or ask the community to extend a helping hand in return for a small cash stipend.
- ‘Candid’ v/s ‘Formal’ shots - Remember to go through a mental list in your head designating the time and place for candid and formal shots. Also, do thorough research on the wedding photography ideas you need to implement during the wedding shoot. In an Indian wedding, formal shots usually happen during the main ceremony and are scripted, and candid ones are taken around the formal ones, totally unscripted.
- Make a checklist: You need to have a wedding photography checklist so that you can ensure everything is in place before the wedding day arrives. It can include finalizing your gear, location, style, team, setup, etc.
B. Wedding Photography Tips - During the Wedding
- Stay on your feet - Make sure you are wearing some comfortable shoes because you will be moving around quickly to cover all the events, rituals and moods.
- Get the background right -Make sure the relatives are smiling during a group photo while you are concentrating on details. Don't forget to check that the couple isn't squinting under the bright flashlights. Also, the background should be soothing to the eyes and not glaring.
- Do not delete any shot - Lots of us like to review our clicks but try to steer clear of this mistake. Why should you not delete shots? Because deletion will preoccupy your mind and because only the family has the right to judge which photographs must be processed or deleted.
- Don’t be afraid to ‘try something different’ - Outside of the accepted standards in photography, do try to get a little creative by trying new angles or running some discrete experiments. Who knows, you might capture a masterpiece of memory in an entirely new and delightful manner.
- Stay calm and breath - Now I know this point might seem like stating the obvious, but here's the truth. Most photographers who are trying to establish themselves start doing too many things in a misguided attempt. Or they over-analyze their shots or fret over moments missed, effectively dooming themselves. So stay calm and simply do your job.
C. Wedding Photography Tips - After the Wedding
- Don’t rush into providing the pictures - Don't rush into handing your client the pictures. Why? So that you can weed out the really terrible ones. I know I mentioned earlier that you shouldn't decide which pics to delete, but in this case, we are talking about the pictures that were just plain bad. Take your time (not more than 24 to 36 hours) and deliver the photos to the family. If the client requests for digital copies first, then provide a teaser and submit the rest of the photographs with the hardback album.
- Keep some for your website Portfolio - You are running a business, so a smart decision would be to save some pictures that you can use to pitch your services to someone else and display them on your professional portfolio website.
Wedding is a joyous occasion, and unless photographers become a part of it and feel excited, they cannot take great shots. People want to look their best and remember the events in the best possible way. Wedding photographers have a great responsibility towards the clients. We hope you practice the tips and become a better photographer.
Liked this post? Share it now.